Monday, July 31, 2006

Surrealistic Pillow

Weekend Wrap-Up

Saturday: Read a good story from a back issue of The New Yorker by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, whose writing I was introduced to in college (most notably her novel Heat and Dust). Anyway, her story, "Innocence," can be read here.

Had delicious dining experience with friends at Ruby Foo's on the Upper West side.

Saw The Ant Bully with wife and kids at the UA near Union Square. Hit Trader Joe's afterwards and snagged some more salsa. The movie was entertaining and a worthwhile kid flick. Can't remember when I last saw an R rated movie in the theaters.

Whole weekend punctuated by not being able to get into landlord's apartment to take care of their dog while they are in Greece. The cousin who takes care of the dog Monday through Friday threw the deadbolt and we only had the key to the bottom lock. No way to let the poor thing out. Fortunately the A/C was on and we got to him Sunday afternoon, so don't be calling the ASPCA on us.

Surrealistic twist: While trying to reach the landlord, got an incoming call on the cell and confusedly mistook it as a call from Greece...young lady on the phone sounded a lot like landlord's daughter, said she was drunk, and then the call turned weirdly obscene. Just a little bit disconcerting.

Spoiler Alert: If you haven't solved the Sunday New York Times magazince crossword, stop reading. Yesterday, as I was working my way through the Sunday puzzle, I discovered that the theme "Finanical Funny Business," referred to a quote by a comedian. The quote, which extended over 6 long clues is "My output is down but my income is up. I take a short position on the long bond and my revenue stream has its own cashflow."

Sound familar? The quote is from George Carlin, and is an excerpt from his act, a video of which appeared last Sunday here on BillyBlog. See? We're a practical problem-solving resource!

Also, my Friday post has messed-up links to domain names that had silly addresses, all things considered. The Mrs. questioned me when they weren't working as to whether they are real or not, the links have been repaired. Hop to the post here.

No comments: