Monday, July 10, 2006

Monday Morning Musings



Breaking news: there was an explosion, fire, and building collapse on the East Side this morning. The White House has reported that "terrorism was not the cause," according to the New York Times. And if it was, there'd be widespread panic. Don't always believe what you read. Including this blog.

Not-so-breaking news: Remember BandMadness? They're in the finals and it's a runaway...Nine Inch Nails is destroying Pink Floyd. Those NIN fans are quite organized.

BilliPod is on shuffle as I compose and I just heard Al Green's cover of "I Want to Hold Your Hand". Interesting. It just flipped over to Pink Floyd's "High Hopes". Not a cover. No rubber tree plant enclosed therein.

The New York Post has a lovely cover for a slow news day. I guess the World Cup finals wasn't worthy enough. I wasn't going to post the cover, because I do that a lot, but as I think about it, the more it is necessary. Otherwise, you may not believe me.


I mean, I guess it's news, but front page? I guess puns trump all. Mazel tov.

A particularly bitter and sarcastic post on Veiled Conceit had me in stitches this morning.

Last night I grabbed a nice short Thelonious Monk concert from 1975 here at a cool music blog called Ear Farm.

I know my birthday was a week ago, but I still have to share what I got.....here's another goody that came my way:

Yeah, I know, big shocker. This 2-Disc DVD captures Pearl Jam on their last tour, at Madison Square Garden on July 8, 2003, the night before I saw them. Both shows are regarded by many as two of the most amazing PJ shows in recent memory. It was because of this first show that I went to both East Rutherford shows this year.

Another tidbit, and I'll leave: a blog dedicated to bicycling in New York City. It may be interesting to others, who knows? Check it here.

No comments: