Friday, July 18, 2008

"A Screaming Comes Across the Sky"


I deliberately set a slow pace, and did the old "ride for 2.5 miles, then turn around" trick today. Aiming to keep myself at just about 5 miles (I finished 5.11). With a huge heat index looming, and the generally big mileage weekend ahead, I wanted to take it easy.

And I rode through areas I rarely ride, the sleepy sections of Bath Beach and Dyker Heights. The photo above is on one of the many bridges traversing the BQE (aka The Brooklyn-Queens Expressway), not "The 278" as they'd refer to it in Southern California (as in, "I took the 110 to the 10 to the 405").

A bit earlier I snapped this shot, to which the title of this post refers:


The quotation is the first line in one of the great American novels of the 20th century (and one of the greatest opening lines in literary history, in my opinion), Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. I love the geometry of the photo as the sunrise highlights the vapor trail of a high-flying jet.

And your 4.1-mile photo today is from the corner of 5th Avenue and 80th Street in Bay Ridge:


Have a great weekend!

No comments: