Thursday, May 08, 2008

"Train of Thought" - E.B. White



"There are roughly three New Yorks. There is, first, the New York of the man or woman who was born there, who takes the city for granted and accepts its size, its turbulence as natural and inevitable. Second, there is the New York of the commuter - the city that is devoured by locusts each day and spat out each night. Third, there is the New York of the person who was born somewhere else and came to New York in search of something . . . Commuters give the city its tidal restlessness, natives give it solidity and continuity, but the settlers give it passion."

E. B. White (1899-1985) Here is New York

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been living in New York City since 2002. I love the City and it's eclectic rhythms of life. For a while I have been unable to describe accurately what NYC is, but E./ B. White's quote is perfect, capturing the passion that keeps this City rolling.
Angel

dpaste said...

I love this quote, too. I kept seeing it on the trains and forgetting to google it when I got home. Thanks.