Tuesday, February 28, 2006

$2 Update

Ok, so maybe not such an exciting idea.

The woman at Starbucks maybe showed a slight hesitation when I paid for my venti sugar-free vanilla (with room) Americano Tuesday morning with 2 singles and a deuce, but the reaction was barely discernible. Later that day, riding counter to the old wives' tale that 2-dollar bills are "unlucky," (see here), I dropped a Two on two shots at New York's Mega Millions $256 million jackpot. What did I win? Bupkes!

Imagine that story, had it played out the way I wanted!! And the lady who sold me the ticket didn't even react! I obviously mistook the impact my passing twofers would have on people. But, alas, I will see this out to the bitter end.

Not much else to report, I still have 18 Jeffersonian portraits riding around with me.

I am currently listening to an a amzing jazz album on my iPod, tipped off by Blender magazine's review here. Have been totally digging Miles Davis' A Tribute to Jack Johnson. Astonishing, and easy to see why they rated it 5 stars.

Amazon.com, similarly raves:

Miles Davis was a gifted composer of film soundtracks, and this is arguably his best. Certainly it's his most listenable film piece. A boxer himself, Davis had a feel for movement in the ring, and this recording overflows with the admiration he had for the grace, style, and confidence of fighters like Sugar Ray Robinson. Jack Johnson was, for a long time, Miles's favorite of his own recordings, and you can see why from the first note: guitarist John McLaughlin steps out and strides across a shuffling groove that is closer to barroom R&B than it is to rock; Davis weighs in with that clipped but plaintive sound which promises you that no matter what kind of music he takes on next, he will always be Miles. And then when--midway through the first of two long jams--Herbie Hancock muscles his way into the mix on organ, of all things, you realize that they could go on like this forever. A joyful, liberating record.

If you have any hankering for Miles, at all, this is a great recording. Listening to it for the first time was the high point of my day.

No comments: