Thursday, June 29, 2017

T-Shirts I Have Known: Tofu Kills People

This is not my t-shirt, but I snapped a picture of it years ago at the 5th Avenue Festival in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn:


I took it to show my friend Chris, who has gone by the nickname "Tofu" since college. It popped up in my social media feed because it is Chris' birthday, and so it seemed fitting to post here today.

I would love to have this shirt, but it is selling for $88 on eBay and, honestly, I don't want it THAT much.

The shirt originates from Thai conceptual artist Rirkrit Tiravanija. According to an article at Wired (here):
Rirkrit Tiravanija's goodie bag for attendees contained a shirt that said "Tofu kills people," a reference to an inside joke after a guest in a pop-up kitchen announced the statement to a crowd.

No comments: