Friday, June 09, 2017

T-Shirts I Have Known: Hendrix at the Waikiki Shell

Here's a shot of me roller skating in June 2007:


I loved this shirt, but it only fit for a second. It was a fancy shmnacy shirt from Century 21 Department Store that had an odd brand - it may have even been European.

The shirt is a print of a Jimi Hendrix show at the Waikiki Shell in Honolulu on May 31, 1969. I spent many years living near Kapiolani Park, where the Shell stage was. We could occasionally hear music from performances in our home nearby.

The location of the show was what made this shirt so special, although the concert occurred when I was just under 2 years old and living on the mainland in the final year of my parents' marriage.

I held on to this shirt for six or seven years after I outgrew it, size-wise, and then donated it. I should have sold it on eBAY. I would have likely made money back.

I regret letting this one get away so easily.

No comments: