Saturday, October 13, 2007

Green River's Hawai'i Connection


Pearl Jam bassist Stone Gossard spoke to Billboard Magazine recently (article here). Stone's band Brad is reuniting for an upcoming benefit in New York City. But this tidbit later in the article interests me more:

Meanwhile, Gossard says rumors his pre-Pearl Jam band Green River will reunite in the summer of 2008 for a Sub Pop 20th anniversary concert are indeed true. "Pearl Jam has toured with Mudhoney, so we played with [former Green River members] Mark [Arm] and Steve [Turner]," he reports. "But we haven't played with Alex [Vincent] and Bruce [Fairweather] in quite a while. They're both excited about it, from everything I've heard."
Why is this interesting? The aforementioned Bruce Fairweather was a senior at Iolani School when I was there in 8th Grade.

I knew Bruce, but I was an 13-year old runt in awe of a then-senior who played in various incarnations of punk bands that made the Iolani administration uneasy.

It was only about a year or two ago, when old pal Benjie, who knew Bruce a little better than I, filled me in on what Bruce did post-Iolani. Ahem, he played with Gossard and Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament in Mother Love Bone. That's Bruce in the picture up there on the left in the MLB band shot.

Undoubtedly, it is not common knowledge that one of Iolani's graduates was an instrumental musician in the birth of the grunge scene that took the world by storm in the early '90s. A nifty little bit of trivia linking me to a band (Pearl Jam) that I care about.

No comments: