Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Blogdrums

I read somewhere, probably on a blog, that personal blogs have a life expectancy of around 6 months.

BillyBlog turned 6 (months) last Thursday.

Fear not. BillyBlog is not going away, but I think it is an interesting statement to consider, in light of the inconsistency of my posts lately.

Obviously, there are blogs that have been around for much longer than 6 months. But also note that a majority have trouble right out of the starting gate. I joined Blogger in July 2004 and had two false starts before finally making the blog work. There are both a personal commitment and commitments to an audience (perceived and real) that often weigh heavily on a blogger's mind.

Greater success can lead to greater pressure, and a form of blogblivion....take one blog I had a habit of frequenting and, from the comments of others, I was one of thousands who visited the page and in February, the posts just stopped. What happened? We won't know unless said blogger recovers and returns.

I went on this morning to see if BillyBlog had hit the big 3-0-0-0 and the counter sat right there on the third millennium mark, dead even. Further research showed that the visit came courtesy of my beloved Mrs. BillyBlog, an appellation to which she will object, I am sure.

Anyway, no pity party here, just business. I have some more topics to cover in the next few days, so stay tuned.

Another milestone nearing: the Billypod is currently sitting at 9980. I'll be sure to announce what song gets the 10,000 honor.

Cheers!

No comments: