Wednesday, March 01, 2006

2 Dollar Update

I had to take both kids to school this morning, except Jolee needed to be there an hour earlier than Shayna, so Shayna and I hit Dunkin' Donuts on the way back home. Shayna got a bagel, plain/toasted with butter, and I had a large hazelnut coffee w/skim milk and 4 Splenda. $3.35 was the total, which I remember being my first pay rate per hour when working at the Iolani upper school library. I was going to pay with a ten, but chose two twos instead.

The cashier, Malka, did not react at first, and took the money without hesitation. But there comes the conundrum for cashiers....when they open their registers, where do the twos go? The ones, fives, tens and twenties all have homes, with the larger bills usually placed underneath the cash drawer, but there's no set two dollar slot.

Malka paused as she looked at her drawer, then put them on the side and showed the twos to a nearby co-worker, chattering in what I can assume was a language indigenous to the Indian subcontinent. She clearly had plans for them and looked up at me, with the expression of a kid who just found an extra present under the detritus of post-Christmas-gift-opening-wrapping paper carnage. She looked at me and smiled and said "I like!" Now, that's what I was hoping for!

A follow-up to a post on Friday, in which I alluded to a Pravda article quoting a Russian official's assessment of Secretary Condoleeza Rice's psychological profile (re-read it here), as predicted, the mere inclusion of Dr. Rice's name and/or the phrase "sexual problems," caused BillyBlog to receive unprecedented attention.

The number of hits doubled to the mid-40s range, whereas BillyBlog normally gets 10-20 hits a day. January was the biggest month for BillyBlog, probably because it was plugged in the Cohen family newsletter which went out in late December/early January. We still have a bunch of holiday cards which have yet to be sent, but will most likely go out as cards designated for a holiday-to-be-named-later.

No comments: