Thursday, March 02, 2017

My Unremarkable Quirks

[I discovered this in my drafts from 7 or 8 years ago. Might as well post it, as is.]

It's another installment in the meme-tag saga. I'm too lazy to explain a meme, so if you don't know, go here.

Dear Old Dad tagged me here with the "Six Unremarkable Quirks" meme. These are the rules:

  • Link the person who tagged you. (See above)
  • Mention the rules in your blog.
  • Tell about six unspectacular quirks of yours. (See below)
  • Tag six bloggers by linking them.
  • Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger's blogs letting them know they've been tagged.
Before we proceed, let me just comment on the contradictory nature of this meme. How do you define an "unremarkable quirk". First, by its very definition (if one is to take these things literally, and I do), a quirk is an odd habit. If it's an odd habit, isn't it generally remarkable? And here we go:

1) I am right-handed, but I play guitar left-handed. Well, I don't really play guitar. But when I do pick one up and try to play, I hold the guitar upside down, like a lefty. Just like Paul McCartney and Jimi Hendrix. Not sure why, but I do.

2) I've never read Moby Dick. Remarkable for a bibliophile and English major. I could probably come up with a dozen more books that I should have read, but haven't, but that's not as remarkable.

3) I walk on my toes. No news here for people who know me. I have a very pronounced walk, one that propels me in a bit of bouncy motion. I have always walked on my toes, a fact that led to a lot of verbal abuse in grade school...Hey, it's Tippy-Toe Joe! and a lot worse.

4) I never visited the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. Quirky? Perhaps not, but I am stretching to find unremarkable things (because I'm so remarkable). What astonishes me about this is that I lived 15 years in Honolulu, during the formative going-on-school-trips-to-important-places phase of my life (Age 3-18). I did visit a friend's house on the base in Pearl Harbor, but I never visited the U.S.S. Arizona.

~ ~ ~

This is why it was in my drafts. I stopped at four and never finished. 

Oh well.

No comments: