Friday, October 06, 2006

The Bookwoman's Last Fling


John Dunning is the author of five "Cliff Janeway" novels, all mysteries featuring an ex-cop turned bookseller investigating some book-related mischief. I talked about his last book here on BillyBlog.

I cannot recommend him enough and, if you're feeling adventurous, start with his first Janeway novel, Booked to Die.

His latest is called The Bookwoman's Last Fling. One review is here from a Mystery/Crime Fiction site. In this latest novel, he combines the worlds of book collecting with that of horseracing. More specifically, behind the scenes at the racetrack. And he does so ably and interestingly, in my humble opinion.

Read an excerpt here.

Dunning has rewarded readers with three Janeway novels in three straight years (2004-2006) after a long break since his first effort and the award-winning follow-up, The Bookman's Wake, from 1995.

No news on any more Janeway novels, although there certainly seems to be potential for more. As I may have mentioned in the past, Dunning's books inspired me to be an aspiring part-time bookscout in the 1990s, and fueled my bibliophilia.

Now, back to Allegra Goodman's Intutition, the book that I was supposed to finish for book club, but didn't, thanks in part to Mr. Dunning.

No comments: