Sunday, January 07, 2018

Poetry in Motion: Remembering Summer (W.S.Merwin)

Over the years, I have posted quite a few "Poetry in Motion" posters from the NYC subways (and beyond).

I was delighted last year when I noticed that bigger and larger Poetry in Motion posters went up on some newly-renovated subway stations in Brooklyn.

I have a few to share, starting with this one, which I first spotted in September 2017 at the 53rd Street Station on the R line:



Remembering Summer                  W.S. Merwin

Being too warm the old lady said to me
is better than being too cold I think now
in between is the best because you never
give it a thought but it goes by too fast
I remember the winter how cold it got
I could never get warm wherever I was
but I don't remember the summer heat like that
only the long days the breathing of the trees
the evenings with the hens still talking in the lane
and the light getting longer in the valley
the sound of a ball from down there somewhere
I can sit here now still listening to it.
~ ~ ~

Initially, I thought there were multiple poems at the station, but they were repeated multiple times with different colors, as seen below.



Visit the MTA Poetry in Motion page here.

You can also click on the Poetry in Motion tag at the bottom of the post to see prior BillyBlog posts about the series.

No comments: