Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Lucinda Williams, West


It's new music Tuesday, as they say, and I have already listened to most of the new Lucinda Williams album West. (Click title to buy from amazon).

Sparing you any lengthy review, let me just say that this is a very good album. I can already tell, much better than World Without Tears, not as great (if that were even possible) as Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.

Blender gives the record three stars, Rolling Stone gives is four, calling the album opener "one of her greatest songs ever". That's high praise, indeed. There are some low points on the record, but I have yet to identify them on my own.

The Blender review here.

The Rolling Stone review here.

A glowing review on Allmusic.com here.

Aquarium Drunkard blogged about West yesterday and posted what is probably my favorite song on the album, "Unsuffer Me" (mp3).

Another track, "Words" (mp3) appeared last month on Who Killed the Mixtape?

BillyBlog strongly recommends.