Saturday, January 26, 2008

Pulp

I'm catching up on Podcasts and just listened to this one from NPR.

The subject is The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps, an anthology of pulp writing edited by Otto Penzler.


I went through the Raymond Chandler oeuvre in the early 1990's. It is easy to fall in love with his writing when you're living in Los Angeles, which is just as much a character as is Philip Marlowe. Chandler's The Long Goodbye is near perfect writing. At one point it had made my Top 20 book list, but has since fallen off.

I mention Chandler because the editor includes the story "Red Wind," which I remember reading and being amazed by when I came across it fifteen years ago.

Another story mentioned is actually available in pdf on the NPR site. Charles G. Booth's Stag Party is actually more of a novella, and I throughly enjoyed it, reading it on the subway over the last few days. I strongly recommend downloading and reading it.





No comments: