Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Pisses Me Off Angers Me

I know, I know. I need to get a life.

But let me just spew venom.

In my post from September 15, 2007 (here), I said "I smell an Oscar nomination," while praising Eddie Vedder's "Hard Sun" video for the film Into the Wild.

Vedder won a 2008 Golden Globe for the song "Guaranteed" "Guaranteed" was also nominated for a 2008 Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Song and has also been nominated for a 2008 Grammy Award in the category of Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media.

So, it would only make sense that the song would at least be nominated, right?

Wrong. The Oscar nominations were announced today and the film was shut out for best song. Look, I'm not asking for a win, but I really wanted to see Vedder perform it on the Oscars telecast. A small favor to ask.

But no. Instead, "Falling Slowly" from the film Once, "Raise it Up" from August Rush, and not one, not two, but three songs from Enchanted. Fun movie, lovely music, but, golly gee willikers, spread the wealth, Academy.

Ok, so maybe it's a little post-Packers disappointment, but I think this is just ridiculous.

[Insert update on February 5, 2008:


Eddie Vedder's work for Into the Wild was also disqualified for Original Score nomination because it's too "song-based," and the Academy wants the category to concentrate on composers creating dramatic scores. That said, Vedder didn't even get a song nomination, though Alan Menken's three cheeze-oid balads for Enchanted got nods. Cue vomiting.


That quote was from this blog over on Wired.

Here's the video for "Guaranteed":



In all fairness, here's "Falling Slowly":



and "Raise it Up":



And the trio from "Enchanted"...

"Happy Working Song":



"So Close":



and "That's How You Know," the worthiest of the three nominees:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting up the video from "Once". You've reminded me of what a sweet, simple and lovely movie that was. Right now, I wish I could rush out and see it again. I may just go buy that soundtrack.