Thursday, December 06, 2007

Blogging in a Post 11/9 World

So, since I've been "back" from my November hiatus, I've been taking it
relatively easy. I've decided that I will do a little more remote blogging
from the BillyBlackBerry.

Here are some random thoughts for this morning's commute:


I think I saw the actress/comedienne Sandra Bernhard yesterday in the
Chelsea Whole Foods.


Now, before you think I'm a "Whole Foods-y" type, let me proclaim that I am
not. I'm a strict Trader Joe's guy, even in the barren, nearly-TJ-less
landscape of NYC.


Anyway, this is the second time in the last few months I believe I've
spotted Ms. B. (or her doppelganger). The other time was a few blocks away,
on 8th and 23rd, so I'm guessing she resides in the area. Both times I was
with my lunchtime walking buddy, Steve (who buys his tea at Whole Foods),
and both times Steve missed her.


The BilliPod, providing tunes on this morning's commute, is playing the
latest version of "The Contrast Podcast," one of the handful I regularly
download. This week's theme is "Title Tracks". For example, currently
rolling is "Love Gun" from the KISS album, you guessed it, LOVE GUN.


I have nearly completed reading Joshua Henkin's novel Matrimony (see Amazon
link on sidebar). Mr. Henkin will be joining our book club to discuss the
novel next week. Looking forward to that. I will post a review after I
finish the last 50 pages.


By the way, Happy Chanukah to all!


Bookpeeping alert: someone near me reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road.


And how about that trade the Detroit Tigers finalized yesterday with the
Florida Marlins? Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera will make nice
additions to the Tiger lineup. I'm a little surprised that Dear Old Dad
hasn't swooned about it yet on his blog. Yet.


Just switched from a local R train to an N express at Pacific Street.


Standing and typing one-handedly is a little slow-going. Not sure how much
more quality cybertext you will be experiencing.


My fantasy football season ends this weekend. Despite winning the title in
my league last year, I will finish, at best, 7-6 and out of the playoffs.
Bit of a bummer. This week I will have Drew Brees at QB, Ryan Grant and
Adrian "AD" Peterson in the backfield, Chris Cooley at tight end, Lavernues
Coles
and T.J. Houshmandzadeh as my two most-misspelled wide recievers,
Shayne Graham kicking, and the Packers' defense.


Looks like Brett Favre will be extending his record of consecutive starts
with his 250th on Sunday. What a guy!


Speaking of quarterbacks, University of Hawai'i's Colt Brennan should be in
NYC this weekend for the Heisman Trophy ceremony. He most likely won't win,
but he could probably unseat Linda Lingle as governor of Hawai'i right now,
if he wanted to (and if it was constitutionally viable). BillyBlog will be
pulling for the Rainbow Warriors against the Georgia Bulldogs on New Year's
Day in the Cotton Bowl.


Someone near me is reading the New Yorker. This makes me sad, as I let my
subscription lapse for the first time in over 10 years. I have dozens of
back issues, unread, at home, and I just could not justify the expense,
considering how seldom I read them like I used to. Despite not reading them
as much, I will still miss their ceremonious arrival at our place. Thank
goodness I can still appreciate huge chunks of each issue on line.


The 23rd Street station on the Broadway line is one of the coolest in the
whole system.


Well, here we are at 34th Street. Time to send this into the ether.


Do let me know if you've found this post even remotely interesting.


(Links and editing to appear at a later time).

1 comment:

Leon said...

Ah, BillyBlog rambles on the R train. Sure sounded good to me. Yeah, I guess I will now have to gloat a bit over at The Ancient One about the Tigers wild trading season. What a team! I hope! And now that the Dodgers have Andruw Jones on board, it should be an interesting 2008.

And I ramble on too! It's just so good to be able to get my BillyBlog fix again. ;-D