Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Hot Chick in Bay Ridge


I shot this on Sunday, June 3, mainly because I had not seen the store before, as well as the ironic juxtaposition of the store name, "Hot Chick" and the Arabic signs. For many, there is a cultural assumption that Arabic culture is modest and conservative when it comes to style and dress. Of course I recognize that there are "modern" women in cities like Tehran and Beirut (among others) where there is a youth culture that relates more to MTV than to the Conservative religious movements in each country's establishment.

What was particularly interesting (and in no way am I passing any judgment) was the presence of several Muslim women shopping in the store. Of course, I am making an assumption that they were Muslim, based on their chadors and hijabs. I know, by the mere presence of my post on this subject, I am illuminating my own cultural bias/ignorance. I am also wary of hitting "publish post," as I fear being misunderstood. I am not in any way implying that women of any culture are less or more attractive than others.

Do know this: 5th Avenue in Bay Ridge is chock full of stores catering to a Middle Eastern clientèle. What makes this picture interesting to me is the name of the store. Burka Boutique wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. Hot Chick does, especially when you consider this:


In all seriousness, however, there's an interesting take here on "Muslimah style".

No comments: