Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Veiled Conceit


Here's how my brain works. This Klimt painting sells for a record $135 million to "cosmetics magnate" Ronald S. Lauder.

This reminds me of a young lady that was a year behind me at Occidental College, Vara Lauder. This reminds me that Melanie mentioned in the last few months that Vara got married, I think, and she saw the announcement in the "Vows" column of the Sunday New York Times. I google and there's the column with accompanying video. Sort of. Actually, I have stumbled upon a hilarious blog called "Veiled Conceit," that picks apart the Vows section of each Sunday Times.
Cruel and mean-spirited? Perhaps. Then again, it is a public record and the "Vows" columns can sometimes be saturated with pretentiousness. Marriage is an institution and institutions often are fertile targets for mockery.

Veiled Conceit can be viewed here.

No comments: