Thursday, September 18, 2008

BilliPod Shuffle - September 18, 2008

It's been a while since I listed what I heard on the BilliPod on the
way to work, so here you go:


1) "London's Burning" by The Clash


2) "Old School Hollywood" by System of a Down


3) An untitled three-minute improvised song by Pearl Jam from August
4, 2000, in Charlotte, North Carolina


4) "Thank U" by Alanis Morrisette


5) "On the Way Downtown" by Peter Case, from his album "Who's Gonna Go
Your Crooked Mile?". Case is one of my favorite artists and he is so
far below the radar that I am astonished whenever I meet anyone who's
even heard of him. He was lead singer of The Plimsouls, whose "A
Million Miles Away" was a hit in the '80s.


6) "Headed for a Heartbreak" by Winger. Yes, mediocre pop metal
ballads still roam in the nether regions of my music library.
"Mediocre" may be a bit harsh, but it quintessentially follows the
formula for the power ballad. The video is yawn-inducing. Unless you
think Kip Winger is "dreamy".


7) Bizarre, the second song from the Clash's album of singles:
"Rockers Galore...UK Tour". If you heard this, you wouldn't guess it
to be the Clash. You get a great idea of how reggae influenced the
band.


Bookpeeping interlude: Richard Yates, "The Easter Parade".


8) "Going Mobile" from the Who. Off of Who's Next. Great song for a commute!
Best lyric: "Watch the po-lice and the taxman miss me!"


9) Holy crap. ANOTHER Clash song, "The Card Cheat" from the classic
album "London Calling". Weird to get 3 of 9 Clash songs, when I'm
shuffling 12,952 in all.


Bookpeeping update: it's not the Amazon Kindle, but something called
the "jetBook". Whatever it is she's reading, it's all in Russian.


10) "Honky Tonk Woman," the Rolling Stones staple, as covered by The
Pogues, from a B-Sides and Rarities collection. Weirdly, Joe Strummer
of the Clash was in the Pogues in 1991, but the song does not feature
him on vocals.


Getting off the subway at 34th Street...


11) "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" by Nirvana. Made famous by their
performance of this Leadbelly classic on MTV's "Unplugged," this is
the demo version from their With the Lights Out box set.


12) "Gonna Fly Now" by Bill Conti. Yeah, the Rocky theme song. This is
on the BilliPod by virtue of a blog called "I Guess I'm Floating" and
a mix once available there called "IGIF Presents: Sound Tracks". While
walking from the subway, I feel somewhat inspired to go to work. Hmmm.
And a craving for a tall glass of raw egg.


13) "I've Got the Fire" an Iron Maiden B-side from the box set
"Eddie's Archive". It's a cover of an old Montrose song.


And the song ends as the elevator spits me out on my floor at work.


Links and clips may be added at a later date, time permitting.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: